25 Jul 2012

Hannah's Five Year Plan

Living in the moment is something I'm not an expert at. Yes, of course I can live in the here and now, experience life as it comes and be spontaneous but I don't do that as much as I plan. I love planning. Everything. I make plans to make plans.

 I can never be fully satisfied with where I am currently in my life, I always want to be 1 year, 5 years, 10 years in the future. Sometimes it's hard for me to be patient and I wish I could skip time but then I check back into reality and think about all the things I would miss out on.

 In my weird futuristic life I've already graduated and I'm living in London in an awesome flat with some really cool friends. Possibly YouTubers because I like being surrounded by creative, intelligent, internet people. I'll be doing some really interesting work in social media or presenting a sex education show on television. Oh and then after living in London for a bit I'll get a job in New York and live in Brooklyn for a couple years. Then by 26/27 I'll move back to an as-of-yet-undecided big city in England and start planning the rest of my life.

But alas, I still have 2 years of university left. These are supposed to be the best days of my life so why do I have the mentality that I'm just sitting around waiting for my real life to begin?

Am I crazy? Do other people do this? Well, I know that my dad does. That's where I get it from.

Hannah

9 comments:

  1. Other people definitely do this! I do this all the time! I sometimes feel like I shouldn't, though, and that maybe I'm wasting my time thinking about living rather than actually living. "Imagining the future is a kind of nostalgia."

    Your plans sound great, though! I hope your future ends up being even better than you've planned. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do this a lot too. The issue is that you end up always waiting for the next big thing when what you should be focusing on is actually happening right at that moment. The great part about life is having that whole period of time in front of you with unlimited possibilities.

    I don't know about you, but I quite enjoy planning my future over and over again without actually getting there yet. I still have no real idea what I want to do and it's nice to know that I still have the time to figure it out. So far I've changed majors three times in two years and it gets to be slightly daunting.

    Anyway, sorry about the rant, but to answer your question with a well said movie quote: "yes [you are crazy] but all the best people are"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got my goals as immediate and long term. Like I want to do a film for the Toronto Film Festival, and that's what I'm aiming for and then I'll give myself another goal after that. If I always have something to aim for, then I know where I'm going and I'm not prone to feeling like I'm just wasting my life.

    So no, you aren't crazy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure if you're crazy because I'm pretty sure a part of me is also absolutely like a planner who loves precise plans. Honestly, I recently realized that and that had ruined my life.

    I really can understand the mentality and know how it's helpful. That may sound weird, but actually such a mentality helps my life when I think, make plans, or worry too much. Thanks to it, my ruined life hasn't been the worst.

    I'm still 18, so what I can tell you must be very few. Anyway, actually, you still have 2 years of university left. At least it's so much luckier than me! The university will give you time! So you can do anything for now without minding you present condition :)

    In my view point, it seems the best days of your life, seriously. So jealous in a good way! Oh there's only one thing I can say to you "stay awesome" :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do this all the time to, but some of the stuff I have planed are going to be somewhat true next year. SO that great. I think that its fun to plan a little. You can always change it later. I also save the plans I write down, its fun to look back and see what you thought was going to happen and see how much of it came true.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Plans are amazing, I need plans for everything and yours sound especially fun so yay! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do this! Currently I'm 17, and the last couple of years I have frequently wished I could skip a WHOLE DECADE until I was 25 or something. It seems so crazy. That is supposed to be the best decade! Hmm.......

    ReplyDelete
  8. As other people said before, I think that is very common behaviour. I do this a lot, at the moment, I imagine myself a year and a half from now with a scholarship at university in the UK, and three years later I imagine myself playing theatre again.
    Out of experience though, I can say that the plans in my head tend to change after some time and, what is more important, life doesn't turn out the way I imagine it. I'm not saying I never reach my goals, I did reach some of them, but life always comes around another corner and it's never like I imagined things.
    But I believe that's a good thing and I wish you all the best for you plans and wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm pretty sure EVERYONE does this!!

    By the way, I've nominated you for a blogger award if you'd care to pop over to my blog :)

    http://aimeekath.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/the-liebster-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete