21 Apr 2012

Personality Crisis?

So me and my friends were trying to psycho-analyse ourselves according to the Myers Briggs method. 

You may have heard of it but if not here is a quick low down:

Pick between each of these options (look them up if you don't know what each characteristic means exactly- we had to!)
Extroverted (E) OR Introverted (I)
Sensing (S) OR Intuition (N)
Thinking (T) OR Feeling (F)
Judging (J) OR Perceiving (P)

You can either do a silly online quiz or work out for yourself what you are and then the end result will be FOUR LETTERS. 
I couldn't decide between two different outcomes-

ENFJ - The Mentor
OR
ENFP - The Advocate

"ENFJs are externally focused, introspective, altruistic, positive and have excellent people skills. They place utmost importance on helping others grow. They are warm and have a natural desire to be supportive and encouraging. Being charismatic and possessing excellent language skills, they do well in leadership roles. ENFJs strive to enhance the lives of their human brethren."

"ENFPs are introspective, values-oriented, inspiring, social and extremely expressive. They actively send their thoughts and ideas out into the world as a way to bring attention to what they feel to be important, which often has to do with ethics and current events. ENFPs are natural advocates, attracting people to themselves and their cause with excellent people skills, warmth, energy and positivity. ENFPs are described as creative, resourceful, assertive, spontaneous, life-loving, charismatic, passionate and experimental."

Each individual characteristic of ENFJ suits me better but the overall description of an ENFP person just felt like it was describing me. Clearly, I'm a confused person now and I have no sense of identity. Oh help me. Personality crisis. 

Anyway, the point of this post was just to share with you my love for personality quizzes and psycho-analysing myself. Do you do it to? Which personality type do you think you are? Or do you think it's all rubbish and we shouldn't waste our time on things like these?

Hannah

5 comments:

  1. I definitely think you are an ENFP, if my opinion is worth anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am ESTP:ESTPs direct their energy towards the outer world of actions and spoken words. The solve problems, take action and actualise ideas and concepts - bringing them to fruition. They are therefore action oriented problem solvers, and often prefer to work with practical organisational issues.

    that dose sound like me.... kind of

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personality quizzes are excellent. Ever since I discovered Quizilla at the tender age of 13, I've been addicted to them (obviously I've grown out of using them to discover which Sailor Moon character I am. But only just).

    I like to take the Myer-Briggs personality test every few months, just to see if/how I've changed. Six months ago, I was an INFJ; as of one minute ago, I'm an ENFJ. Not a great deal of difference, except I'm now more people-oriented.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've done the Myers-Brigg (INFP, btw). It's a lot of fun and cool to think about, but I think it's usefulness comes mainly from getting you to think about how our internal selves interact with/interpret the external world, so it is a very flexible tool. I don't see the result as 100% accurate or permanent. A lot of people hover between two results and your type can change over the course of your life. I think it is easy to over-psychoanalyse and forget that our personalities/our selves are fluid. All of these highfalutin' thoughts are the result of being thoroughly psychoanalysed by professionals through therapy and learning that I don't have to define myself in concrete terms. I don't just wax philosophically about personality at 1AM for shits and giggles [also, I may or may not have an essay due in the morning that I am procrastinating]

    So don't have a personality crisis! You can be a mixture of Feeling & Perceiving! There are over 6 billion people in the world - every personality can't be described by 4 letters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just took one of those quizzes, and it says I am ISTP. I guess that's the direct opposite of yours? Haha.

    ReplyDelete